What We Did
Materials You Need
Reading and Viewing to Do
- 9 Ways Students Can Use Social Media to Boost Their Careers
- How to Use Storyselling to Boost Sales
- 23 as Middle Age
- How to Get a Real College Education
- My High-School Hoax
- The Homeless on the Holidays: Some Food for Thought
- Obamacare to the Rescue
Homework for the Next Class
Using Writing Tip 1 and your notes from class, write a thesis statement for each of these topics:
- A purchase that changed your life for the better or the worse
- An idea that changed your life for the better or the worse
- A place that you do or do not recommend visiting
- A person that you do or do not recommend meeting
Next, read the six essays and watch the video above. The reading quiz for these selections will open on Wednesday, September 3.
To confirm that you understand the syllabus and can navigate Blackboard successfully, try the 10-point syllabus quiz.
The quiz will be available until 15 minutes before class on Monday, September 3.
Follow the directions below. If you have any problems with this bonus point quiz, be sure to ask questions BEFORE taking Reading Quiz 1, which will be a 100-point real grade.
To take a quiz in Blackboard, follow these directions:
- Have the syllabus at hand before you begin the quiz. Also, be sure that you have read Prof. Leddy's post "How to E-mail a Professor."
- Log into Blackboard.
- Click on our class—ENC 1101.
- Click on Assessments in the left sidebar.
- Click on Syllabus Quiz. You will have 10 minutes to take the quiz. Keep an eye on the timer. If you let the 10 minutes elapse before you have finished, your choices will not count.
- Click Save Answer or > after you have finalized your choice for each question.
- Click Save and Submit at the end of the quiz.
- You have only one attempt at this quiz, so be sure to follow all of these directions.
- If you encounter a problem with Blackboard, call the helpline immediately at 407-582-5600. Then send me an email with the exact time Blackboard went down and your ticket number. I will try to resolve a problem only if you have followed these instructions.
- You must complete this quiz by the time specified above. Otherwise, you will receive zero points.